Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dude? Wheres my Hub?

Lately I have been wondering why have I not been watching Budget 1998 or read up on articles on the government's development plan for the country when I was in primary school. Financial hub, biomedical hub, science / technological hub. Then I would have read less on history, culture stuff, I coulda have subscribe to the Economist, have Wall Street journals by my bedside. I should have watched Discovery Channel, (wait i did watch that), and made daily trips to Shenton Way, visited SGX instead of Fort Canning or something. Instead I spend all my life reading up on one thing that Singapore do not have : History. Oh wait, Singapore has history (hopefully no one from Hist Dept will stab me). Oh how I envy and marvel academics from the rest of the world. History in Singapore is probably limited to AS1 5th flr (Hist Dept), AS7, the big nice tower at Buona Vista (MOE HQ) and other state bodies. There is simply no interest in history here, on Singapore's history or even the world. Most computer screens are likely to display FB, or POEMS (an online stock trading service). Sure there are some SG forums that show passing interest, but most of the time singapore netizens just complained n stuff. BUT LOOK AT OTHER COuntries, they have clubs, fan clubs, reenactments the works. Granted there isnt much Singapore history (or is there?! of cus there is!) or rather it seems that Singaporeans dont have a sense of history, or more accurate the latest generation of Singaporeans, the Gen X Y Z $(*&(*& or whatever. Im guess our parents and grandparents knw better, but the earlier generations dont really know how to handle history. ANW im digressing from the purpose of this post. DUDE WHERES MY HISTORY HUB??? There is no culture for learning humanities or any great appreciation for academics here, or at least history :(, unless ur an economist. Of cus the govt n civil service hire us, (NOT JUST TEACHERS! the other ministries do as well!) Basically I wish it would be like the US, UK n Europe, India, where academic circles go beyond university campuses.

No comments: